Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top O' The Mornin' To Ye!

A happy Saint Patrick's day to you!
Being of the Irish persuasion, I tend to you know go to Mass and pray and stuff today. And not get drunk. But, in honour of himself, it's time for a little Irish kitsch!


This would be pretty if it was 1886, and she didn't look like she had just had a roofie the size of her own head. NEVER LEAVE YOUR GREEN BEER UNATTENDED, LADIES.


It's a cheap statue Our Lady of Knock (who appears to just be "generic female saint #4" wearing a crown...catholic statuary can get kind of lazy some times.) My favourite apparition because it is simultaneously beautiful and boring.


Oh look, it's THE UGLIEST Chalice and Patten I've ever seen. Yurg. Yurg. Yurg.
As my theology professor once said in a rare moment of hilarity, "Ancient Celtic Christianity stands in cold water up to their neck for 5 hours a day in Penance. Today, "Celtic Christianity" likes to surf".
Amen.


Happy St. Patrick's day to you, and since about 0.2% of my audience is Irish...uhm...you know I was going somewhere with that but I've lost my train of thought. ANYWAY: Go get drunk!

For some extra St. Patrick's day kitsch, see last year's post which was better because I wasn't stricken with influenza while writing it as I am this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment